Get your questions answered and increase your knowledge in controlled environment agriculture and hydroponic growing at the 22nd annual Greenhouse Crop Production & Engineering Design Short Course. This is a three-day online and in-person conference put on by the University of Arizona's Controlled Environment Agriculture Center that will consist of lectures presented by leaders in academia and in the CEA industry. Discounts are available for UArizona affiliates and students; send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
Can't make it in person? We will be streaming live via Zoom with the ability to ask questions during the presentations.
Onsite Participation at CEAC
The course will be held at the Controlled Environment Agriculture Center campus with a limited number of seats. In addition to the lectures, an onsite participant will have hands-on lessons and in-depth tours each day. Lunch will also be provided.
The short course will take place March 15–17, 2023, with each day focusing on a different topic: controlled environment agriculture fundamentals; environmental controls and automation; and alternative crops and growing methods. All attendees will have the option to ask questions of the speakers after each presentation
Check out the full program below!
Note that Arizona does not change for Daylight Savings Time, and thus is GMT -6 during daylight savings; GMT -7 during standard time.
The Homewood Suites by Hilton, located within St. Philips Plaza, is just a short 10-minute walk from the Controlled Environment Agriculture Center.
Included with your stay is: free breakfast, free parking, free wifi, a fitness center, and an outdoor pool. Additionally, there are several restaurants and shops located within the Plaza.
What to Expect at the CEA Short Course?
- Advanced Lectures: Lectures at the CEAC Short Course address some of the most common questions about growing undercover! Whether you rely on the sun and its warmth to tend your crops or are growing some greens in an illuminated growth chamber, come learn from controlled environment experts and advance your growing operation.
- Timeless Talks... AND What's New in CEA: We've maintained essential components and lecture topics specific to crop production and engineering/design considerations, but we adapt our program each year to address topics most relevant today.
- Networking Opportunities: The Short Course is the perfect place to network with industry players and other like-minded enthusiasts. You will meet experts from academia, industry professionals, game-changing entrepreneurs, skilled growers, and a roster of CEAC students who are hungry to meet the industry's labor demands. You also will get to interact with our incredible sponsors and exhibitors that are there to help you advance your operation.
- Reintroducing the Morning Session! Our conference's lectures take a technical, research-oriented approach, with the goal of leaving you with nuggets of useful information for your operation. To ensure ample time for more comprehensive talks about cooling your greenhouse, plant responses to light, and why air uniformity is important, we've re-introduced a morning session on the 1st day, to begin with, our foundational lectures to frame the week.
- Bigger Questions, Better Answers: With ample time built into the program for Q+A, get the answers you need from engineering, biological, scientific, and economic perspectives.
- Recorded Lecture Sessions: Review lectures after the event to fully absorb technical content or something you missed. Access to recordings is now included with your general admission, and available after the completion of the course.
- Education Meets Application: CEAC’s unique facilities support a quality learning experience where students come to grab their education by the roots. On the fourth day of the Short Course, you'll immerse yourself in training workshops at CEAC.
- Education Credits: Interested in receiving education credits for the CEAC Short Course? Contact us to find out more!
- Explore Tucson's University, 4th Avenue, & Downtown Scenes: Offering numerous opportunities and possibilities to continue conversations, establish new relationships, and nurture existing ones. Explore! Grab a bite or local pint in Tucson, we promise it won't disappoint! Tucson named United States' 1st UNESCO World City of Gastronomy
Who Attends the Annual CEA Short Course?
Entrepreneurs, small business owners, educators, urban planners, greenhouse engineers, company trainees, international representatives, researchers, growers, horticulturists, urban agriculturists, and you!
If you are interested in attending or sponsoring or have any questions about the annual CEAC Short Course, email or call us.